Your cart is currently empty!
Current as of: Monday 30 January, 2023
Why and when your consent is necessary
When you register as a patient of our clinic, you provide consent for our practitioners to access and use your personal information so they can provide you with the best possible care. Only staff who need to see your personal information will have access to it. If we need to use your information for anything else, we will seek additional consent from you to do this.
Why do we collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
Our clinic will need to collect your personal information to provide healthcare services to you. Our main purpose for collecting, using, holding and sharing your personal information is to manage your health. We also use it for directly related business activities, such as financial claims and payments, clinic audits and accreditation, and business processes (eg staff training).
What personal information do we collect?
The information we will collect about you includes your:
- Names, date of birth, addresses, contact details
- Medical information including medical history, medications, allergies, adverse events, immunisations, social history, family history and risk factors
- Healthcare identifiers
- Health fund details.
Dealing with us anonymously
You have the right to deal with us anonymously or under a pseudonym unless it is impracticable for us to do so or unless we are required or authorised by law to only deal with identified individuals.
How do we collect your personal information?
Our clinic may collect your personal information in several different ways.
- When you make your first appointment our clinic will collect your personal information via your registration.
- During the course of providing medical services, we may collect further personal information.
- We may also collect your personal information when you visit our website, send us an email or SMS, telephone us, make an online appointment or communicate with us using social media.
- In some circumstances personal information may also be collected from other sources. Often this is because it is not practical or reasonable to collect it from you directly. This may include information from:
- Your guardian or responsible person
- Other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services
When, why and with whom do we share your personal information?
We sometimes share your personal information:
- With other healthcare providers
- When it is required or authorised by law (eg court subpoenas)
- When it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety, or it is impractical to obtain the patient’s consent
- To assist in locating a missing person
- To establish, exercise or defend an equitable claim
- For the purpose of confidential dispute resolution process
- When there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (e.g. some diseases require mandatory notification)
Only people who need to access your information will be able to do so. Other than in the course of providing medical services or as otherwise described in this policy, our clinic will not share personal information with any third party without your consent.
We will not share your personal information with anyone outside Australia (unless under exceptional circumstances that are permitted by law) without your consent.
Our clinic will not use your personal information for marketing any of our goods or services directly to you without your express consent. If you do consent, you may opt out of direct marketing at any time by notifying our clinic in writing.
Our clinic may use your personal information to improve the quality of the services we offer to our patients through research and analysis of our patient data.
We may provide de-identified data to other organisations to improve population health outcomes. The information is secure, patients cannot be identified and the information is stored within Australia. You can let our staff know if you do not want your information included.
How do we store and protect your personal information?
Your personal information may be stored at our clinic as electronic records and visual records (such as photos or videos).
Our clinic stores all personal information securely in an electronic format that is password protected. All staff and contractors have signed confidentiality agreements.
How can you access and correct your personal information at our clinic?
You have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information.
Our clinic acknowledges patients may request access to their medical records. We require you to put this request in writing via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and our clinic will respond within 30 days.
Our clinic will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate or up to date. From time to time, we will ask you to verify that your personal information held by our clinic is correct and current. You may also request that we correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to email@example.com.
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint, and how will the complaint be handled at our clinic?
We take complaints and concerns regarding privacy seriously. You should express any privacy concerns you may have in writing. We will then attempt to resolve it in accordance with our resolution procedure. If there is a privacy concern, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Privacy and our website
We collect some information automatically when you visit our website via third-party vendors such as Google Analytics. This is aggregated, information collected in an anonymous form and includes information such as the number, date and timing of visits to the website and the pages of the website visited frequently. This information is not personal information and collected for statistical purposes only.
You may also choose to provide us with personal information if, for example, you subscribe to our newsletter, send us questions through e-mail, register for an event or participate in our courses. We may sometimes also use automatically collected information about you in conjunction with other data we have about you, including personally identifiable information you have voluntarily provided us.
Policy review statement